Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Goblet

In my circle of friends, we have, what we call, a Goblet of Drama. It is passed around from person to person, and sometimes shared. When one is drinking from The Goblet, there is (unnecessary) drama going on in our lives. As a theatre kid, drama is usually a very mild understatement, since our lives are nothing but (non-scandalous, of course) dramatic.

I have not drank from The Goblet in a while now, but today I finally picked it up. "Picked" is a bad word to use because it sounds like it was a choice. Let's say it was "officially thrusted upon me". When one drinks from The Goblet, there is usually drama in more than one area of his/her life. So it was "officially thrusted upon me" today in the areas of school, relationships, future occupations. Let me elaborate. *clears throat* Ahem. 

School: I am only a sophomore and senioritis has already kicked in. I have a lot of school to do before I can let out for summer break. With all my friends out already, and it being 90 degrees outside, that only makes it more agonizing. I basically have a college semester's worth of work to do in *glances at calendar* three weeks. 

Relationships: With it being the end of the school year, I have friends leaving for college. This happens every year, but this year is the toughest by far. These aren't just friends leaving. These are by very best friends. They are moving 2+ hours away. I don't have many friends at my school. So come August, I will *literally* have two friends. And that's being generous. One is going to be coming to my school (yay!) and one I am already extremely close to, so maybe that will work out. So here I am, savoring these last few months I have with my very best friends, striving to make new ones, and maintaining the relationships I already have. Oh, and there's this guy. *sigh*. And by "this guy" I mean feelings I made up in my mind towards this guy to distract me from feeling lonely. Icing on the cake. 

Future occupations: This is an extremely loose term for theatre drama. My (current) "future occupation" is theatre (until God let's me know He has changed it).  There is an upcoming production of Sondheim's Into The Woods, and I kiiinda know the director personally *coughheismytheatrecoachcough*so I will be involved in the show somehow, I just really really really really really want to be cast instead of stage crew. So now I have an attachment to a few of the roles, and... Well let's just say there is a lot of competition and it's getting personal. It's like High School Musical, basically. It's tough. It's tough to handle it in a godly way, and to still do my best and be fair. Also, I just found out that a Broadway summer theatre camp I have been working hard to complete my mother's prerequisites for, is now full. And I would have to pay the full $450 to just be on the waiting list... So there goes my summer plans. Super disappointment. 

Plus I am really struggling to understand how God thinks I am perfect for this life.

*takes one huge gulp from The Goblet* 

Welcome to the happy, perfect, coherent life of Allison. Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment